Young Eagles Schedule – NEW for 2024!
Feb 3, Mar 2, Apr 6, May 4, Sep 7, Oct 19, Nov 9
Open to the public, area young people ages 8-17 are offered a chance to take to the skies with volunteer pilots of the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA). Albuquerque Chapter 179 hosts Young Eagles Flight rallies throughout the year at Double Eagle II Airport and supports similar events at other area airports.
The EAA Young Eagles Program was created to interest young people in aviation. Since the program launched 30 years ago (1992), volunteer EAA pilots have flown over 2 million young people. Actor and pilot, Harrison Ford, flew the 2 millionth Young Eagle in Oshkosh, WI in July 2016. EAA 179 volunteer also participate with neighboring chapters which sponsor rallies at Belen, Los Alamos, Los Lunas, Santa Fe, and Taos.
“Free airplane rides are a starter to learn more about aviation,” says Barry Kromer, former EAA 179 Young Eagles Coordinator. “I love to see those big smiles as they get out of the airplane.”
Following the flight, each participant receives a certificate making them an official Young Eagle with access to further learning opportunities. Their name is subsequently entered into the “World’s Largest Logbook,” which is online at www.youngeagles.org.
Preregistration for EAA 179’s YE flights opens about 2-3 weeks prior to each event
Watch our Facebook space for updates.
- To pre-register, go to youngeaglesday.org. Registration begins about 2-3 weeks prior to the day of the event. If a time slot is filled, select another. (Please note: your choice of time slot will not be included in future reminders.)
- Those pre-registered get first priority. Walk-ins registered first come-first served, fitted into the schedule if/when openings arise.
- Preference will be given to first-time flyers.
- The event and flights are subject to weather and pilot availability. Should conditions prevent flights on the scheduled date, the rally will be postponed to the following Saturday.
- Signed parental permission is required, forms will be available at the event. See INFORMATION FOR PARENTS on this national program, supported by the Experimental Aviation Association (EAA).
Los Lunas – Chapter 530
Events hosted by Los Lunas Chapter 530, supported by EAA 179 volunteers.
Dates – Check back in coming weeks – Mid Valley Airpark (E98), Los Lunas, NM
Events hosted by Los Alamos/Santa Fe Chapter 691.
Dates TBD – Los Alamos Airport (KLAM), Los Alamos, NM
Events hosted by Edgewood Chapter 1306.
Events hosted by Las Cruces Chapter 555.
QUESTIONS? Contact Young Eagles Coordinator, Daniel Fuka by email at youngeagles (at) eaa179.org